Saturday, July 7, 2012

June 11, 2012    Very Interesting Week

With the younger Arkansas Sperry's back to their home, the house has gone back to its normal quiet state and it is beautiful :) A lot of events happened this week with our investigators and within the life of Sister Larson in general! I have learned a lot, mainly about the Lord's timing. With October, the girl with the baptismal date, she dropped us this week and said that she isn't ready right now to keep learning because she is trying to finish nursing school and can't learn anymore from us. We had a hard time with coming to terms with her not learning anymore. Another investigator hasn't been at home to be taught when we plan these really spiritual lessons too. Another lesson of the Lord has his timing even if we plan by the spirit, sometimes things do not go as planned because they are heading in a different direction we just can't see yet. It has been a bittersweet learning week that is for sure but I have gained a testimony of patience and truly letting the Lord lead the course because it will end in a place that is better than anything I come up with!
Our investigator Rusty, who testified of the Book of Mormon to his pastor dropped us awhile ago but his wife has come into the picture! She accepted a Book of Mormon, wants us to come by to visit with just her. We left her with Mosiah chapter 4 to read earlier in the week and by Saturday she has read the whole chapter! Whoop! Her husband Rusty was home and he committed to reading that chapter before next week and to be home for our next return appointment :) They are such a nice family and have such great faith. We are excited to see where it all goes with them and hopefully we will see them at church next week.
The lady who takes care of Nate Sperry, Teresa, stayed the night this past week and we had dinner with her at our house. After we ate, we watched the Joseph Smith movie with her and then talked with her afterwards for another 2 hours. When she first started working for the Sperry's 5 years ago, she was curious about this "blue book" that Nate would hold in his hands just thumbing through it. So she picked it up and would read in random places. Well she was curious about the book and so she bought one online, for $22 mind you ha and has her own copy of the Book of Mormon at her house. She never asked the Sperry's any questions really and we ended up answering a lot of her questions that night. It was such a long discussion but it was so awesome at the same time! She never grew up going to church, she's in her 40's and she started going to church 3 months ago...just 1 month after we got here. If Sister Barnum and I don't really see why we are here with other people, I can honestly tell you that we are here for Teresa and she tells us the same thing. Hopefully she commits to letting us teach her, she was a little hesitant about it but took the Ensign magazine from last year in October that was all about the Book of Mormon. She is incredible!
We had exchanges this week with the sisters in Liberty. I went down to the Liberty 1st ward with Sister Lisonbee and it was a crazy experience. The best part about being down in the house again at the jail, was seeing Sister Dodd and Sister Kavea!! On Friday night after planning, I went out on the porch with those sisters and we talked, laughed and had so much fun together. I think we could have easily stayed up til midnight, but don't worry, we were obedient! Saturday was a fairly dead teaching day because Sis Lisonbee just got to the area and didn't really know where to go plus a lot of people weren't home. Although we did come across a member who wanted us to learn HIS ways, learn how the Book of Mormon is false and he found out for himself, blah blah blah. I may have interrupted him a few times, told him we would listen to him if he would listen to us (with a smile on my face)...he did NOT like my interruptions haha. So he avoided eye contact with me and just looked at Sis L the rest of the time haha. The whole time I was thinking of the story of Korihor in Alma 30, wishing that I could strike him dumb haha. It was a very funny and sad situation. We prayed for him haha. That night at dinner, we were walking up to this house which looked like it was falling apart. Sis Lisonbee didn't know the members and I of course didn't either. As we walked up I said, "I have a feeling were going to be eating some interesting food...." Well. I can honestly say that I have had the worst dinner experience of my mission, thanks to exchanges. Dog pee every where, tons of trash, dirty floors, dirty dishes, black floaties in the drinks, cock roaches on the ground/floor/stove....the members were around 50 and didn't have any teeth and the wife had whiskers on her face that looked like a go-tee. I don't know if that's a good enough description but all I have to say is, if it weren't for the power of prayer, my stomach wouldn't have survived! Sis Lisonbee was a rock star, after we left and talked about it all, she said "listen to me! I am so ungrateful, they fed us and didn't even need to! I am grateful they did that." She was serious too! It was a HUGE lesson that I learned in a matter of minutes. Course I'm not saying I would go back and do it all over again haha but it was a moment I will never forget.
On a funny note, the Weed family that we have been visiting with for awhile, their daughter got baptized a month or so ago fed us on Friday before exchanged. Their littlest girl, Eliana, is 7 years old and says the funniest things. Her mom was looking for her chapstick in her purse, she yelled out, "who took my chapstick!?" Eliana then says, "Not me! Last time I'd sawed it was in my hands today after school!" Hahaha. After my laughter about her comment, I turned to her and told her that was taking her chapstick. She quickly corrected me with raised eyebrows, big eyes and her hand unfolding in my face saying "Noooooo, that's BORROWING." Hahaha. I LOVE HER!!! She made my week. Another positive note, we got a new district leader who is a BOSS! He is so awesome and is already turning our district around, we are so excited to have him as our leader. Our awesome Zone Leaders came to our meeting this week too which was a tender mercy for me because they are incredible and so uplifting. I love little tender mercies :)
I hope you all have a wonderful week and keep your heads held high! Remember, it is all in the Lord's timing. Its up to us to make sure we SEE His timing and don't fight against it :) Much love to you! I miss you too!!!
Love
Sista Larson

No comments:

Post a Comment